Sunday, July 5, 2009

An open letter to the ice cream truck

Dear ice cream truck owner(s),

At least twice a week we hear your truck's jingle travel through the hot summer air. The sound goes on for 30, 40 minutes. We wait in anticipation when the truck will make the turn down our street. Yet it never happens. Tonight as we played in the backyard, we heard the jingle get louder and louder until there it was! Through our backyard neighbor's yard we saw the ice cream truck traveling north. We implored the truck to take the next right, but the jingle turned quieter until we could no longer hear it. Each night we hear you there is no doubt you are in the trailer court south of us. While I can't argue with your marketing plan, (there's lots of kids in the trailer court), I beg you to visit the kids just north of there. Even though I grew up 10 miles out of town I remember on occasion an ice cream truck stopping at the corner by our house. Now I have a family and we live in town, but my kids have never experienced the ice cream truck. They have never stood next to the truck looking at the picture menu debating between a rocket pop or a fudgecicle. Or maybe an ice cream sandwich. Then again, maybe a push-up. They have never waited patiently for the man to disappear inside his truck and reappear in the window to hand them whatever they ordered. We have a book about an ice cream truck, which is a favorite at bedtime. Yet, it's only a story to them. They still have not experienced the delight of hearing that jingle as the ice cream truck turns down their street, the mad dash for some money and finally some cool ice cream on a hot summer day. So once again I beg you. We would love to see the ice cream truck in our neighborhood.
Sincerely,
Stacy, Rion, Torii and Cordelia

2 comments:

Heidi's Corner said...

That's such a cute letter or it even sounds like a cute storybook to read to a child or in a newspaper. You should put that in the tribune. So cute! I hear the icecream truck in front of our house once a week. I can't for Heidi to go to one! Do you take the kids to Shultz's icecream by grandma's? I remember always walking there when we go to visit grandpa at the shop and I would always get my sherbet iceream with two scoops. So good!

Anonymous said...

The ice cream truck lady lives near my parents.I'll get you her #. It's on the side of her truck. Supposedly she'll come to your neighborhood if you call her.