Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Oblivious

A month or so ago a co-worker asked if I had graduated with a certain person. I knew I did, but I couldn't quite place her face. When I got home I dug out my yearbooks and flipped through to find my class. I came to the beginning of our section which is filled with casual photos of students. As I saw the largest photo on the page my mouth dropped open. I couldn't believe it. The caption confirmed the identity of who I was looking at. "Rion," I said, "Want to see a picture of your teacher in high school?" We are well into our second half of the school year and it was only then that I realized that I had graduated with Rion's teacher. I immediately felt incredibly dumb for not realizing it right away. He really hasn't changed much since high school. I didn't know him well, but as soon as I saw his picture I knew who he was. My next thought was this: Did he recognize me? I sure hoped he didn't. I remember "meeting" him on the first day of school. He was really friendly, but I chalked it up to him already knowing Torii and the fact that he really is a nice guy. But was it more of a "hey I remember you from high school friendly"? Then I totally brushed him aside and moved onto Torii's class. Now I want to tell him that I'm not a snob. I'm just an oblivious idiot. The next day I asked Rion if he told his teacher that I had graduated with him. He said he did. I asked him what his teacher had said about it. "He said that you would have graduated with Hailey's mom too," Rion said. Great. Now who in the world is Hailey's mom? And how many times have I seen her at school and totally brushed her off? Really I'm not a snob! I'm just really, really oblivious.

No comments: