Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What's there to eat?

I really didn't know what to title this post, but I know my mom hated it when we asked that all the time. The kids don't say that much yet, but Fred does. This question gets dirty looks as well as "I'm hungry."

My tastes have gotten more sophisticated the older I've gotten. I hated vegetables as I kid. Lately, I've discovered how much I love spinach and brussell sprouts. And I hated chili too. Way too many beans. Now I love beans, especially black beans. As much as I love to try new foods and recipes, I could still eat kid's food everyday. Pizza, mac and cheese, hot dogs. Yummy! Here's a new recipe I tried the other that was a hit with everyone in our family. Rion ate three muffins for dinner plus the half of one Torii didn't finish.

Corn dog muffins
2 packages (8 1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
5 hot dogs, chopped

In a large bowl, combine corn bread mix and brown sugar. Combine eggs and milk; stir into dry ingredients until moistened. Stir in corn and hot dogs (batter will be thin). Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400 degrees for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

No comments: