Sunday, January 11, 2009

Meeting at school

On Thursday I had the meeting at school to discuss Rion's speech and fine motor skills. It was a bit much to take in everything, but in the end it was decided to give Rion some help. Although he has some trouble saying some letters, he doesn't really need help with speech. He does need help with his fine motor skills and apparently you can't have help with that unless you're in speech too. They kind of went back and forth on whether to wait with help if needed or go ahead with the help now. I told them I would like it if they helped because I can't get him to practice his handwriting at home and he would be more willing to work with them. So it was decided to help him. He has bad handwriting, can't cut with scissors very well and doesn't color inside the lines. I do feel like this is partly my fault for not preparing him for school. Then again, since he's my oldest, I really had no idea. We weren't expected to know all that when I started school. On the more positive side, Rion is doing really well academically. That played a factor in him getting help. From what I understand, they don't usually worry about speech therapy until kids are in first or second grade because they understand letter sounds and words better. They think he will do good in speech because Rion is doing so well in those areas. The reading teacher said he is in the higher reading group in his class. I am glad he is getting help because I do worry about what others may think of him when they see his coloring or handwriting. I worry that kids make fun of him or others may think he's dumb. I probably shouldn't worry about that because it probably isn't a concern, but I still do. And I know I shouldn't worry about what others think because I know he's smart, but it's hard. It will take some time for him to improve these skills, but I 'm glad he's on the road to get it resolved. I'd rather take care of it now and not have to worry about it later.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

sounds like he's doing well in school. He told me he loves to read in school and other things he does in class. Sounds like he loves it. As far as the coloring inside the lines, "Boys don't color," they play rough. he he. I think he'll do great. I'm sure he's not the only kid in his class that there's something he/she needs to work on.