Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The question wasn't that tough...

"One thing they never tell you about child raising is that for the rest of your life, at the drop of a hat, you are expected to know your child's name and how old he or she is"-Erma Bombeck

Last night I was at a Tastefully Simple party and while chit chatting with someone she asked me how old my kids were. "Six....Is that right? Yah, he just turned six. I think. Yah, that's right. Six, four and 18 months." She must have thought I was the dumbest mother alive. But I actually had to pause and think about it. It just didn't seem like I should have a six year old already. I knew he just recently had a birthday, but did he really turn six or was it just 5? I finally figured it out and came up with the right ages. More wine please......

It was an enjoyable evening and I got to taste a lot of yummy food. When I got home I tried to be really quiet, but Cordelia has a sixth sense and popped right up. I left her alone thinking she would lay back down. It was quiet and I walked by again and I heard her say "mom" and I couldn't resist so I had to pick her up. We always have some snuggle time before I put her to bed so I guess she needed that before falling asleep. When I picked her up I noticed she didn't have any pajama bottoms on, but that's normal. She's rarely fully dressed. Then we sat down on the couch. She was laying stomach down on me and as I was holding her I noticed something else was different. It took me a minute, but then it finally dawned on me that she didn't have a diaper on. Fred swore he put one on her, but now she was bare butted. Fred checked the bed and thankfully she hadn't messed it up. He also found the diaper thrown on the floor. I was glad I decided to pick her up or I could have had an extra mess to clean in the morning. Cordelia does have a bit of a temper. She must have gotten mad when I didn't pick her up earlier and ripped her diaper off. It's always something new...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to babysit for a little girl who would stand in her bed and rip her diaper off and fling it across the room. Over and over again she would do this. Luckily they were always clean. She'll be 18 in a few months and really doesn't like when I tell this story.