Monday, March 15, 2010

Happy Birthday Rion

When I asked Rion what he wanted to do for his birthday party he said he wanted a party at home. I asked him a few times to make sure he didn't want it at Snoopers, gymnastics, swimming or some other place the kids are always talking about having a birthday party at. Each time he kept saying he wanted it at home. When I asked him about a theme he decided on a Lego theme. It was so much fun working with a Lego theme. I got so many fun ideas online. For invitations I put together 5 Duplo blocks (I scored a bag full for free at a thrift store!) and attached a large label. Then I wrote the details on the label, used my Xacto knife to cut around the blocks, and disassembled the blocks. Then the kids had to put the blocks together to get the birthday details. The party colors were red, yellow and blue. I love Dollar Tree and most of the supplies came from there. Tablecloths, plates, napkins, forks, etc all in the primary colors, plus some square buckets in the same colors that I filled with Legos for the kids to play with. I found some cool games to play, but the kids spent a lot of time building with Legos so we didn't play any games. Plus some of the kids had three birthday parties to go to that day so sitting around watching some SpongeBob was ok with them too. For treat bags I bought plain red and yellow gift bags from Dollar tree. Then I cut out circles from card stock and glued them on the bags so they looked like a Lego block. Inside the bags were the normal gift bag items, plus a couple of fun things I found on Etsy, Lego soap and Lego crayons. I think the party went well. It was nice not to have to go anywhere. We didn't have to load anything up and we didn't have to worry about having to leave a rented space at a certain time. It was nice hanging out at home. Rion really liked his party so that's the most important thing.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Sounds like it was really fun for both of you!! :)

Heidi's Corner said...

sounds fun and very crafty on your end! What fun! Post some pictures of the party and your creations. :)

Nancy said...

What an awesome idea!! I'd love to see pictures.