Saturday, May 24, 2008

Don't listen to me

Today we had a couple of graduation open houses to go to. One was at a hotel and the boys got to go swimming. The pool at this hotel had a really nice area for little kids. There was also a small tube slide for the kids to go down. I told them right away to watch for kids at the bottom and not to go down until they were out of the way. They were so good and waited patiently on top for the kids to move before going down. After we had been there for awhile a group of kids came over and also started to play in the pool. One kid about Torii's age, maybe younger, went down the slide. Rion waited for the kid to move, but he wouldn't. Rion looked away and when he looked down again, the kid was gone so he went down. Well, this kid had gone back into the tube and started to climb up the slide so Rion ran right into him. Luckily, the kid was ok. I had to reassure Rion that it was ok because he looked at me like he had done something wrong. Everything was fine for a little bit, then this group of kids all started to climb up the slide. The parents meanwhile stood on the sides with their beers in their hands saying nothing. The boys were waiting and waiting to go down, but waited until it was clear. Finally I had enough so I told the boys we were going to take a break. Torii wanted to go one more time so I told both of them to go once more. Again they waited and waited on top. Fred went over to the kids at the bottom of the slide and told them they would have to move so our boys could go down. Some of them moved, but when the others didn't they once again sat at the bottom and started climbing up. The boys waited almost 10 minutes so they could go down the slide. One of the parents finally said something. I was so mad. I don't want any kids to get hurt, but I so wanted the boys just to go down the slide and plow into all those kids. Torii actually did run into an older kid (who should have known better) on his last run and he was really close to tears. He thought he was going to get in trouble, but I had to reassure him it was ok too. For once I actually didn't want them to listen to me, but they were perfect. I was so proud of them. I know my boys act up a lot, but there are times like today when I see how good they are and they make me so proud. Sometimes I don't feel like it, but today was proof I must be doing something right.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I would be so proud of them also! What sweethearts. What wonderful kids! I can't stand it when other peoples kids misbehave and they just don't care about the others around them. I have told some parents when working at the hotel, I don't have time to babysit their kids or we don't have babysitting services here for them. (only if I have to tell thier kids more than 3x). People. Ugghh.