Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Never ending trips to the doctor

Sometimes I feel like I'm always at the doctor's office. If it's not a regular scheduled appointment it seems to be something else. A few days ago Rion complained about an ear ache just as he was going to bed. I gave him some ear drops and the next day he didn't mention it again so I forgot about it. Then in school yesterday he complained about his ear hurting again so the school nurse looked at his ear. She noticed a small cut in his ear canal so I brought him to the doctor after school. I was hoping to get in with his regular doctor, but he was leaving for vacation that afternoon. That always seems to happen when I need to get a kid in. So we went to the walk-in. The doctor figured the amoxicillian he got a few weeks ago didn't work so he is still suffering from the same infection. She prescribed something different and when we picked it up, the pharmacist asked me if the doctor had told us how expensive this stuff was. Our insurance paid for almost fifty dollars of it and it was still over $100! I hate going to the walk-in because this is the kind of stuff that happens. And from past experiences I don't have much confidence in most of the doctors that do the walk-in. But since I couldn't get into Rion's regular doctor we didn't have any other choice. Then today Rion got sick at school. I picked him up from school and after lunch he was his normal self again. I really hope it's not the medicine, but vomiting is a side effect. What a waste of money that will be if he gets sick again. I'll try the medicine again in the morning and see how it goes.

No comments: