Monday, March 3, 2008

Pretty funny for a drama

I've become addicted to the show Mad Men. I was lucky enough to catch it in reruns starting at the first episode. Fred likes it too. I think it might be the only TV show we have both liked. Although I think I am getting him hooked on Two and a Half Men. Anyway, back to Mad Men. If you haven't watch it you have to. It takes place in 1960 and explores the relationship of men and women in the workplace and at home. I especially like the at home issues because it's kind of fun to compare it to our lives now. The main character is married and has two young kids. Here's some of my favorite parts from the show so far:

-The mother was driving and of course the kids weren't in seat belts. The boy (of course it wasn't the girl) was playing in the car and hopping from the back seat to the front to the back again. I'm so glad my kids are strapped in. Besides the obvious safety issue, I can barely drive when the kids are screaming at each other. How would I drive if they were climbing around in the car too?

-At home the kids were playing and the girl comes into the kitchen with a big plastic bag over her head. The mother looks at her and says, "If my dry cleaning is laying on the floor you are going to be in big trouble." It shouldn't be funny, but it is.

-The mom is also in therapy and her husband calls the therapist to check on the progress. The therapist tells the husband everything the wife has been saying in her sessions. Can you imagine? Anyway, this last episode the therapist says the wife talks about being overwhelmed about running a household (she complains about the same things moms complain about today so that hasn't changed) and to him all her gripes are petty. "It's like dealing with a child," he says.

-During a birthday party the mom tells her husband to get the video recorder. She says something about buying it and never using it, it just collects dust. So that hasn't changed either. We still haven't gone through the three blank tapes we bought when we first bought our video camera four years ago.

I'm in love with this show. The men are crude towards women, but it's a fantizing look at the way it once was.

No comments: