Monday, March 10, 2008

A quick stop

Last Friday Rion turned five so I let him pick out a DQ cake for his special day. We got there just after they opened and were the only ones in the parking lot. Cordelia had fallen asleep so I decided to leave her in the car while we quickly got a cake. Besides, I didn't know how I would carry her and the cake back out to the car. I have never ever left a child in the car until then. This was going to be a quick stop so I made the decision to keep her put. I would be able to see the car the whole time, and this was going to be quick so it was ok. I locked the car and went inside. We hadn't even made it to the freezer case when five people walked in the side door. It took Rion all of five seconds to spot the Spiderman cake he wanted, but by then it was too late. We stood in line behind five people who were asking questions and didn't know what they wanted. My quick trip was starting to stress me out. When we walked in, I noticed a DQ employee outside picking up garbage. Did he look like the kind of person who would break into a car and kidnap a baby? I kept looking outside. Surely, she has woken up now and noticed she is completely alone. She is probably outside screaming for all to her. Any second now a couple will walk in and announce, "Someone left a baby in that car out there. Who would do that?" Then the police will be called and I'll be charged with neglect and child endangerment. Then it will make the newspaper, because nothing else happens here. Since this is a small enough city everyone will know who I am and I will forever get icy stares at the grocery store. Maybe I looked a little panicked because the cashier was trying to help me before the other people were even done paying. We got out of there and everything was ok. Cordelia never knew we were gone, but next time I'll just bring the birthday kid with.

No comments: