Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Red light, green light

Our Torii is the best at giving Fred and I fits. We give Torii timeouts, take toys and privileges away and he still throws monstrous tantrums. We are both sick of Torii's attitude and really needed to do something about it, but really had no idea what to do next. Then over the weekend Torii, of all people, suggested we make a chart like they have in school. It looks like a stop light and on the side are clothes pins with each person's name on it. If your clothes pin is on green, you've been good. If it's on yellow you must have did something wrong. On red, you might as well go sit in your room and think about what you did. I made the chart mostly to humor Torii not thinking it would actually work, but it has. Torii and I have been playing checkers, but he is a rule breaker and a cheat. Now all I have to say is "you'll go to yellow if you don't play right," and the game continues without any more major disagreements. I think I should sit in with his class more often so I can learn more of the techniques they use to keep 15 kindergartners in check. I know "criss cross applesauce" and "marshmallows!" which is my personal favorite. I'm not sure how long this stop light chart will last, but everyday that is tantrum free is a good day.

2 comments:

Brian said...

that's great! I love the red light green light chart. A person has to wonder sometimes how these kindergarten teachers manage it all!

Brian said...

p.S for some reason I'm signed in as brian. What the world? Love kelly