Friday, November 7, 2008

Yes we can!

As we sat in the hospital all week we wondered if we would be home in time to vote. I had been waiting for four years for this election day so I was going to bummed out if we didn't get home in time. The weekend before election day there were non-stop election ads on TV. The local Minnesota ones were really nasty. Especially the Coleman/Franken duel. I'm not sure that one is even decided yet, I think it's in a recount. By the end of our stay I was pretty sick of all the campaign ads. (Really, I was sick of TV in general). On the way home we made one last stop at Jamestown to fill up on gas and get out and stretch. We were getting back into the car when a man stopped us to shake our hands. It was Duane Sand, also filling up and on his way to another stop in the state before the election. I guess he never misses a chance to shake a hand. Anyway, we made it home with a day to spare before the big election. I talked to Rion a little on election day about the adults he would see in the gym, but he didn't really seem to listen. I had never really thought about talking to a five-year-old about this historic election, but they must have talked about it in school. The next day after school he told me Barack Obama had won and that he liked Barack Obama. Know why? Because he likes his name. Rion does say Barack Obama really cute. Then he told me about the White House and he knew the president lived there. Then he thanked me for voting for Barack Obama. I told him he was welcome.

No comments: